Old 08-23-14, 09:36 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
You can't always blame the bike shop as veteran mechanics eventually move on, and a younger generation of mechanics that have grown up with just more modern bike tech takes over. And unless the bike shop is really geared towards C&V and retro bikes, there's just not enough business reason to hire mechanics with C&V wrenching skills.... I guess the real problem will be when the commit some sort of misrepresentation when they service your bike and end up with a mess, as described by people on this thread.
We just have to find the C&V savvy.knowledgeable LBS's to avoid problems.
Here in my neighborhood, American Cyclery of SF had been always a good place to bring my stuff to have them do the thing's I don't have tools for, like headset race installation (which is pretty much the only thing I cannot yet do at home at this point), but the mechanics and sales people there (even the younger ones) had also been a good source of information and guidance like when I get stuff together for a wheel build or searching for old parts, bits and pieces in their parts drawers that I need when refreshing components.