Old 08-26-14, 04:25 AM
Owen21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
My first couple years were on a Raleigh Rush Hour (similar to the Bianchi Pista; budget track frame built up originally as a fixed gear street bike). I didn't upgrade until I was a 2. There are better bikes and you'll want to upgrade at some point, but it'll work just fine to get you into the elites. Just start changing parts out as you start getting dissatisfied. Then, when you are ready to upgrade, you can just swap all your upgraded parts to a new frame. Track is great that way - a lot fewer parts on the bikes and not too many compatibility problems. Just get onto 144mm BCD cranks and 1/8" chain as soon as you are able (usually the budget bikes have 130mm BCD cranks and 3/32" chain, both of which make it hard to find good quality compatible chains, chainrings and cogs).

Talking about gearing, you'll want a 48 or 49 tooth chainring and a flip-flop hub with a 16 tooth cog on one side (for warmup) and a 15 tooth cog (for racing) on the other. You might want new tires that aren't cut up from road riding too. Flats on the track are... not good.
Thank you I'll get tires first I think and stick with the current 48/16 I have. Then change the cranks afterwards.