Old 08-26-14, 12:48 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I find it a little offensive when people are shocked at what I paid. I did buy a nice bicycle and lots of touring accessories. Cost me some $2,500+. So what? I don't drive a car and this is my only vehicle. I have an income that would comfortably support a car that costs ten or twenty times as much. I just don't think my spending is as lavish as some of the non-bicyclists seem to think.
I have previously posted to this thread on the Living Car Free Forum, ”Do you tell strangers how much your bike costs?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience…

My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption. Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle [after a serious cycling accident], so that puts it in perspective for me.

I’m not that conversant with the technical specifics, nor may anyone asking the price, so the price becomes a common reference to tell what a fine piece of machinery it is. But I would nonetheless admit the price only to a close acquaintance in serious conversation.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I once read this description of a "nice" bike, "Lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce."