View Single Post
Old 08-27-14, 12:43 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamG
My bad...was not DI 2...in fact was a Ultegra mechanical triple with the 11-40 and the rear XTR........it is interesting as I was always advised the XTR would not work on the 10-spd, but his worked without a problem.....the upside with the 11-40 according the the captain was that there was more range in the middle to upper cogs......though he did not get a chance to utilize anything over 28....our max grade was only 4%.
Ah, so it is mechanical Ultegra 11spd shifters with the mechanical XTR 11spd (M9000) RD

There was a compatibility gap in the 10spd groups - road vs mtn due to a different dynasys throw ratio. That required one to use the 9spd mtn XTR RD with the 10spd road shifters. Now with the 11spd groups, throw ratios are back in synch.

I still can't get my brain wrapped around the fact that Shimano is not releasing any 11spd cassettes with 34t or 36t max cogs. You only get a 32t or a 40t cassette choice for big cogs

Regardless, it's neat to hear someone has already jumped on the super-sized cog setup.

Last edited by twocicle; 08-27-14 at 12:52 PM.