View Single Post
Old 08-27-14, 02:36 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
My biggest complaint with Brooks (other than the fact that they weigh the same as a small boat anchor) is if you do ever get used to them, and not all will by no fault of their own, is that now it's difficult for me to be comfortable on anything else. I would love to find a lightweight synthetic alternative that felt the same.

Shipwreck, beautiful work on those saddles, do you think we could do something with some of my deer and bear hides hanging around?
That's hilarious, reminds me of a situation in the old Pogo comic strip, where Churchy La Femme is offered a 100 dollar a day job, and he turns it down because if he ever lost the job, he couldn't afford that kind of pay cut

Bear hide... That would be pretty cool. Talk about style points with the coffee shop crowd! Or the mountain man cycling set. When I have stretched my saddles, its been an ongoing thing, it took several tries to get it just right for my personal posterior. I made two that looked just alike, and one of them is pure torture. Given the fact that I can ride an old Schwinn mattress saddle and like it, that means something!

I have thought about going whole hog and making an actual mold for the leather and casting some iron bucks to really get the rivets in right. That's the second hardest part. Honestly, I think I am going to by a Gyes or Persons saddle next, just to try it out. I promise not to start a thread if one of those fails