View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 02:35 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Because as a rider I know what I like. Over many years I've found saddle/grip/gearing combos that I like. I've never seen a bike that matches exactly what I want so I either build from the frame up, or buy something close to what I like and modify it.
I agree with this answer. I recently found a bike I really liked (happens to be a Domane like the OP has), but I wanted to change a few things to make it better for my personal tastes. I changed out the seat, bars, and tires on my bike right at delivery. Fortunately, Trek makes it easy to semi-customize new bikes with their P1 program, so I was also able to order the bike with the exact stem geometry, crank arm length, gearing, etc. that I wanted rather than having to swap/buy parts later. Sure I could have ridden the bike stock, but for almost no extra money, the bike is more comfortable and enjoyable for me. As others have posted, it's the same with cars (and anyone who has a Bedazzler.) Most every car comes with some kind of radio and 4 wheels, but people like to modify that stuff all the time, so why not? It's nice to live in a world with choices.