Old 08-29-14, 05:35 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
And so it begins....Vancouver to San Diego, or Bust.

Hey folks! It's been a while since I've posted, mostly due to personal reasons. And the hot Summer doldrums of lack of riding never helps. But I'm back to riding again since last week...in a rather major way.
I felt I needed to get away and do something special to offset what I had gone through these past two years. A sort of discovery and recovery tour. So I embarked on a Pacific Coast ride, starting by flying into Seattle from Phoenix. Then head north to Vancouver, then Victoria, and ride southbound to Portland, Oregon, then into California ending in San Diego. I've not been to the cities and regions along my route, so it will be exciting and fun to visit these places for the first time.

PART ONE: SIRRUS IN SEATTLE
Initially, I had planned to take a C&V Cro-moly hybrid on this tour. But a 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport fell into my lap, and it was better suited. I outfitted it with road components set aside for the hybrid build. It turned out pretty well and rides nicely.

Specializing My Specialized by WNG555, on Flickr

A bit over a week ago, I began my first leg by checking in my bike and luggage onto a United flight to Seattle-Tacoma Airport. The bike survived the baggage handlers and it was assembled at the terminal and I rode out and headed north to Capitol Hill in the midst of Seattle.

A 14.5 mile ride with a nice few miles of climbs as a finale. I read about Warmshowers.org and decided to join their organization to experience the whole bike tour support community. I found two gracious hosts, Sheila and Spencer, who put me up for a long weekend.
They are hardcore long distance tandem riders, who had completed a Pacific to Atlantic Ocean supported tour. S2Cycle

Since it was my first time in Seattle, they gave me tips on how to best see the city, where to ride, and the sights.

Fortunately, I found out Drillium Dude was back in Washington the same time I got there! We arranged a get together that weekend and Sheila and Spencer and I rode to the rendez- vous at Lake Forest Park north of Seattle. My hosts departed on their training ride while Jeff and I continued along the Burke-Gillman Trail and got onto another great trail to arrive at the Velodrome. There we discovered they were having the US National Championship Finals! We made a point to return that evening to catch the event.

cont'd...