View Single Post
Old 08-29-14, 09:31 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Almost no bikes will ever be worth more than they were new adjusting for inflation, and fewer still would represent even a modest 4% annual return over 40 years. If you are looking at a new bike as an investment I suggest you change strategies. Valuable bikes were costly new as well. I can think of almost no bikes worth more now then new. Only a small few, like Confente, are more valued now.

Buy a bike because you like it...not for its possible value in 2030. If you want an investment I'd look at a ROTH IRA, not a bike.
Schwinn Stingray (originals; not the OTC Stingray) Stingray knock-offs like the Huffy Rail, and what ever it was Raleigh called their muscle bike, Any original "tank" bike - Schwinn, Huffy (especially the "Radio Bicycle), Hawthorn, ... I forget who made it, but the "Space Liner" fiberglass framed 'cruiser' of the late 50's/early 60's is another rare and sought after bike.

All these 'cruiser' type and "kid's bikes" are selling for MUCH more than they did when new. Maybe the ones to buy as an "investment" are the 29'er cruiser bikes? and aluminum cantilever frame Schwinn cruisers?