KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Schwinn Stingray (originals; not the OTC Stingray) Stingray knock-offs like the Huffy Rail, and what ever it was Raleigh called their muscle bike, Any original "tank" bike - Schwinn, Huffy (especially the "Radio Bicycle), Hawthorn, ... I forget who made it, but the "Space Liner" fiberglass framed 'cruiser' of the late 50's/early 60's is another rare and sought after bike.

All these 'cruiser' type and "kid's bikes" are selling for MUCH more than they did when new. Maybe the ones to buy as an "investment" are the 29'er cruiser bikes? and aluminum cantilever frame Schwinn cruisers?
Interesting comment...you're right, they have done better than most roadies. However...still not how I'd invest

In 1969 a Schwinn Stingray was $87. I'm not THAT familiar with their selling prices (as opposed to asking prices, which I think are rarely achieved), but let's call it around $1000. That's under a 6% annual return. Not terrible...but as one of the few examples of a bike worth more than new, it's still hardly a great investment. Factor in sales tax and it drops further.

Inflation on $87 in 69' means it's close to $600 today. Not that far off of their value. Again, ignoring sales tax.

i actually would consider these more toys than bikes, and I think their market is more along the lines of toy collectors. If you were investing in toys, many others would have been better choices.

The Bowden Spaceliner has is obviously one of the rare nostalgia appreciators. I am not sure those tank bikes are going to hold value in the future...I don't think people my age care about them.

My pick for future classics -

Ti Merlins...at some point people are going to want the best of the era. That's the ti Merlin.
Later 80s higher end production rigid MTBs...the Apex, 970s, etc.
Later Waterford Paramounts...the 753s.
pre-trek Lemonds
trek y foils
Klein mantra
serotta dks

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-29-14 at 10:33 PM.