View Single Post
Old 08-30-14, 03:28 AM
aussiemusicman

Bikes: Rudge Whitworth c.'35, Royal Enfield/Norman Cycles c.'44, Dayton Roadmaster '48 Amalgam, Dayton Roadmaster '51 Amalgam, Mercian 531Superlight '63, Cougar 753 '82, SunWasp tandem 531 '52, Manufrance Hirondelle '79, Claude Butler 531 mixte '80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickZ
Thanks for sharing your experience with hybrid gearing. Pictures would be great! I currently have a Raleigh Sprite with a 46 crankset (for narrow chain) and a 24/28 on a AW hub, shifted by a Svelto derailleur. The Svelto is only supposed to handle a 26T, but it works on my set up. Perhaps only having to shift across two cogs helps. The 24T is a dished F&S from Bikesmith, and I made the 28 from a flat Miche cassette cog and filed off the extra tabs. The think the hyperglide ramps aid with the shifting without having to over shift. I added a single Sturmey spacer between the two cogs. I use an old Shimano friction thumb shifter mounted on the right side next to the Sturmey shifter to enable quick split shifting if desired (though I never do). The old single lever Huret stem shifter would undoubtedly look classier.
see images on Flickr Just for fun, I shall be experimenting with very old French dual speed retro-direct, single chain type dating from 1903. This may work on a threaded driver SA hub but the chain clearance will be a massive consideration!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/75644133@N03/8816816059/