View Single Post
Old 08-30-14, 04:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't think that theory works. There has to be someone to want them. For kids twenty years older than me, the Schwinn Stingray was really cool, and then a few years later those kids drove the bike boom. For me, born in '77, anything with a banana seat reads "girl bike" and BMX and skateboards were cool. On the adult bike side, the average US citizen today probably owns a mountain bike. His perception of racing is all about Lance and doping. They might remember Lemond or the Olympic team and their funny bikes. The carbon fiber bikes are astonishingly expensive making them seem like a terrible value, and the extensive market segmentation means there is no marquee. Who will be nostalgic for them?
First, you can buy a carbon frame for $300, new. That is by no means astonishingly expensive.

Second, anything that is "collectable" based on nostalgia is going to crap one day and I would never call it collectable. Maybe a fad at best. Real collectables are desirable because of great design and and innovation. "Recapturing" youth is fleeting at best, sad in many cases.