View Single Post
Old 09-01-14, 03:49 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just-for-fun ride today with a teammate. About 10 miles from home we passed the tantalizingly named "Cliff Road" which is steep dirt. We had both heard it was a dead end, but neither of us had actually tried it, or could even remember who said it was a dead end, so we headed up.

It turned out to be a brilliant 2-mile varied climb. Parts were so steep it was hard to keep the wheels down. It went from gravel to doubletrack, back to decent gravel, then to our surprise, bluestone. The road went through an old quarry and for a while the road surface was the milled-flat top of the bluestone vein which was super cool, with giant walls and heaps of stone slabs on either side.

I didn't stop to take a photo because we had gone past a couple of ambiguous no trespassing signs, but eventually the road came out onto the regular paved back roads again, and it was clear the whole thing was a legit right of way. Definitely going back.

At the end of the climb, it took us a while to get our bearings and figure out exactly what road we had been dumped out on. Can't remember the last time I wasn't sure what road I was on, only 10 miles from home!