Old 09-03-14, 07:58 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I though discussion of carbon failure modes was reserved for February out of respect for the Northern Hemisphere winter and subsequent Bike Forums patterns.

While this didn't happen to me directly, it did happen to a riding mate of mine, with plenty of corroberating witnesses:

Whilst on the final straight bit of road leading to our club's meeting place, he stood up to particpate in the sprint to the club house. A few pedal strokes later his carbon, Look 695 broke across both the top and down tubes sending him head first into the pavement. It is no entirely known if the bike had been previously crashed or damaged. Some debate has taken place about what constitutes a "crash" and how exactly one would recognize damage that might effect the bike in the future and the fact that he had been transporting a very light frame on a bumper hitch rack, supported by the top tube.

Although one or the other tube probably failed first, they failed so quickly that for all intent and purpose everyone is viewing them as having failed together. Look offered him another frame. I believe he declined.

A year since the incident and he still has not fully recovered. Although he is back on the bike he can't train. He has to moderate is efforts or he will suffer debilitating headaches that can put him in bed for days to follow. He's back working. But, again, has to be careful about how hard and occassionaly has to take time off.

This isn't the only carbon part failure I have person knowledge of. I have another regular riding mate, who's rear derailleur mount broke off from nothing more than the bike falling over. Trek advised that this was not repairable and the frame was out of warrantee. He managed to epoxy and fiberglass it back together close enough to aligned that the derailleur still works.

Carbon can fail. As can any other material. And, yes, carbon's failure mode can be more catastrophic than other materials.

Clydes just shouldn't buy really light components, regardless of material.