View Single Post
Old 09-05-14, 01:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
NYS doesn't define what constitutes a brake, only what it must be capable of, namely skidding the rear wheel.

Text of the law follows ---
(c) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement."The objective is to ensure that the bicycle is capable of the shortest braking distance afforded by tire traction.

A skilled rider riding a fixed wheel bike can achieve that. ...
I'm wondering if the word skilled is crucial. I'm not doubting that a skilled and experienced rider can ride a fixed gear bike safely, but how can that be determined objectively and routinely by a cop or judge? I mean, can it be easily observed by the cop that the rider is skilled enough to ride safely in all conditions and situations? Being able to roll slowly to a stop in traffic, or even a quick stop in many situations might be achievable by almost any person on a fixie. But being able to stop whenever necessary, sometimes unexpectedly, that's what requires skill and can't really be determined except with a fairly extensive testing procedure, I would think.

The presence of an actual brake -whether it be hand brake or coaster - can easily and objectively be determined. And, it could be argued that anyone riding a bike can adequately operate a brake, and "skilled" is not a criterion. The presence of an actual brake might not be a perfect tool, but is a reasonable surrogate for determining ability to stop.

Hope that makes sense. Note, i'm not saying that fixie riders who don't have brakes are not safe or are idiots. Just that they shouldn't be surprised or object to being out of compliance with the laws. Ride on, but be ready for the occasional hassle.

Now, if they would enforce noise levels from motorcycles.....

Last edited by Camilo; 09-05-14 at 01:40 PM.