View Single Post
Old 09-06-14, 06:39 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midwest Ullrich
Hi atom bikes, do you know what special tool do I need to remove the black spacer right above the top headset bearing? I am trying to fit the bike into a suitcase. Mine is not as deep as yours so I can't stack the two wheels like you did. I am thinking about removing the fork to make more room. Can't figure out how to do it.
One critic about this price level of bike is: the wheel axles are not the quick release type. There is no skewers to remove to minimize the wheel thickness for packing.
Hey Midwest,
I have never disassembled the front end beyond removing the steering post quill, so I cannot answer your question. Maybe if you post a pic one of us could help?

Regarding packing into a suitcase, one of the tricks I used was rotating the fork and slipping one of the fork legs between the rear stays to allow the frame to lay more "flat" in the suitcase. This might help you without removing the fork altogether?

The wheels will need to be staggered so that the protruding axles are between spokes or other pockets of open space. I agree it would be great if these were QR wheels.

Last edited by atombikes; 09-06-14 at 06:47 AM.