View Single Post
Old 09-06-14, 09:32 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Setting up guy wires for a tent isn't that hard and, in the case of some tents, it's necessary even in light winds..........I will add to you comments about Eureka tents. They are a good product for a good price. I carried a Eureka Timberline for years.
+1 about Eureka tents being a good value.

I also had a Eureka Timberline tent that I used and abused for a long time, until it finally wore out. I still use part of the rainfly for a ground cloth. I've also used a Eureka 4-season tent for mountaineering until the pole sleeves started to wear after over a decade of very hard use. I still use it for car camping, but have switched to Sierra Design tents for both bike touring and 4-season use. I prefer clips over pole sleeves, especially with cold hands and windy conditions. I know, that is not usually an issue on bike tours.

It is hard to find a good 4-season tent that weighs under 6 lbs. There are many 3-season tents in the 3 lbs. range. That is a pretty significant difference.

Sometimes you have to stake them down with whatever you have in your pack. In this case it is 1" tubular webbing with a 4500 lbs. tensile strength that we use for climbing anchors. They should still be there when the tent is gone.

[

Last edited by Doug64; 09-06-14 at 10:12 AM.