Old 09-07-14, 05:47 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
There's an excellent wikipedia article - I already sent the link to Mr Fantasy Physcis - on bicycle performance here:
Since you insisted on dragging me back in via PM,this pretty much sums it up:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
By all means go look at the links but before you do, look at this article on bicycle drag. It clearly shows how little importance rolling resistance of the tires has on the over all drag on a bicycle. The whole discussion above has been about how to reduce a tiny fraction of drag. The whole discussion is mostly a tempest in a teapot and, in reality, has only an marginal effect for the commuting cyclist. Reducing rolling resistance is important at a professional level where tenths of a second make a difference but for the bicycle commuter, rolling resistance makes little difference.

Weight, on the other hand, can make a huge difference for a bicycle commuter. We are constantly slowing, stopping, starting and accelerating. Adding more weight to the wheels of the bicycle means that we have to put more energy into riding to get back up to speed and then, once at speed, we have to keep putting more energy into the system to keep it at speed due to air resistance which is a power curve vs a linear curve for rolling resistance. Going to heavier, wider tires may give a cushy ride but you have to pay a penalty for it.
Also love how you're arguing with links over my personal observations from actually riding in the real world.

And now I'm done. I will not come back to this thread,and keep your PM's to yourself.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X