Old 09-07-14, 10:32 PM
Cntcasey
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2015 Specialized Roubaix vs Diverge? Very confused please help!

I will hopefully be getting my first real road bike in 2015. I currently have a specialized Secture sport disc which has sora 9 speed. I have had it for 2 years. It's been a good bike to get me into road biking.

I am now ready to get my next bike. I want my next bike to have disc brakes. I am a bigger guy. 6'3 250. I live in Colorado and ride a lot on big mountain passes and often in wet conditions. I will be looking at the following bikes in 2015. Trek Domane, giant defy, Cannondale synapse, Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge. I will test ride all bikes before I make my decision.

I was hoping I could get some help from the experienced road bikers here on something I don't understand?

From my research I have discovered that Specialized pretty much invented the road endurance category when they came out with their Roubaix line of bikes. I have also have learned that other companies have followed and have introduced bikes as well in the endurance category with their own endurance comfort models. Domane, Defy, synapse etc. and many of these models have given the Roubaix a run for its money.

I guess my question is for those who really understand the endurance road category and are very familiar with the Roubaix and Specialized, from a geometry standpoint. The Roubaix has always been branded as the best long distance endurance comfort bike that eats up the cobblestones and makes ridding on bumpy less than perfect Tarmac a painless experience with its geometry and it's vibration dampening zertz etc.

So if the Roubaix is all of the above mentioned, then what in the world is the new Diverge line for? From my novice eyes they appear to be basically be the same bike. However, I do admit I do not understand bike geometry at all. This is where I need help.

What will the diverge give me that the Roubaix can not. What can the Roubaix give me that the Diverge will not?

I want a bike that I can ride 100 miles on with as much comfort as possible.

My confusion between the Roubaix and the Diverge comes because they both seem to offer the same things?

These are the two bikes I have my eye on
Specialized Bicycle Components

And this one
Specialized Bicycle Components

If the diverge is better on dirt, gravel, single track mountain trails etc then the Roubaix. Will the Diverge be as good as the Roubaix on 100 mile rides on tarmac?

If the Roubaix would be better on 100mile Tarmac rides then the diverge, could you explain why? Of course I am talking about these two bikes if they both have the same tires specific for each ridding condition.