Old 09-08-14, 05:15 PM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What the crap did I just buy? (Titanium frame content)

Hiya folks,

So a while back I discovered that, potentially from a standing-on-the-trainer related fault of my own, the rear triangle on my road frame was wonked to the NDS by about 3mm. Still tracked just fine, but I figured I'd take the opportunity to shop around and see what I could find in the way of a frame in my size. I stumbled across a Ti frame on the eBays, which the seller claimed was made by the same contractor to whom many manufacturers sourced their Ti frames. He called them Performance Sports, but to me this description says TST. I waited for the frame to relist and drop to a price that I was comfortable paying, and made my move.

Now, I'm hoping someone might recognize it and help identify exactly what it is. Considered contacting TST directly, but thought I'd ask here first. I'm no expert in these things, but the welds look like they may be a bit under par relative to what I've seen on TST frames on the web (though I really have no idea what they should look like on a titanium frame, and they're leaps and bounds ahead of the ones on my China special aluminum frame), and I haven't found one with a brake bridge like the one mine's got either. The look of the metal is consistent with what I've seen on titanium frames, and I may have the option of contacting one of the other labs at work to have the alloy checked out. Anyways, the pics:

Thanks for any insight!