Old 09-10-14, 05:24 PM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
It might not be that the Panaracers are big for 28's; it could be that your other 28's were smaller than their rated size. It's been my experience that Panaracer tires tend to run pretty close to the marked size.

Tires do tend to have a roughly round cross-section, although tread thickness and the width of the rim can an effect on a tire's cross-sectional width and height.

In that price range, I'd still go with Paselas, but drop down a size to 25 mm.
SkyDog, you are quite right. Here are the measurements on identical rims, 700c x13mm (inside where the bead seats). To measure the height I calipered from the edge of the rim to the center top of the tire.

The Pasela 700 x 28 was 28.4 W x 28.6 H. That's as close to the spec as it is reasonable to expect. When I ride .2mm off it will be round.

The Performance branded 700 x 28 was 25.9 W x 26.5 H. I didn't measure the Conti yet but it is even shorter in height than the Performance.

Niagara Cycle (great service and prices) issued an RMA so I will exchange for 700 x 25 Paselas like you suggest. If everything varies relatively, the Pasela 700 x 25 should be pretty close to the size of the old Conti's.

The Pasela has gotten a lot of respect here and elsewhere so I think the problem is solved.

Thank you all for your input. I will follow up when I ride the Paselas.

Last edited by jodphoto; 09-10-14 at 10:51 PM.