patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Quite a picture Pcad. Wow. Can you explain why you needed a knee replacement before you turned 60? Too much cycling? Injury? Bad genetics?
Thousands riding with their knees replaced and best of luck in your recovery.
Knee scope after an ACL rupture 1986 @ age 28. ACL reconstruction after a motorcycle crash 1989. The knee then subsequently tolerated about 200K miles of road cycling, started getting arthritic about 5 years ago. Synvisc injections kept me going until this year, but when they stopped working it was TKR time. Hey, my knee surgeon told me @ age 31 that I had one of the worst knees he had ever seen (after the ACL reconstruction) and largely thanks to cycling, which is mostly therapeutic, it still lasted another 25 years, which is amazing to me. But he said at some point as the arthritis develops, the cycling stops being as helpful and the knee just wears out when there's no cartilage left in there. I'm confident I'll be MUCH better off once this right knee TKR rehabs and heals up. No more knee problems after this. My left knee has never had any problems whatsoever.

My surgeon told me I'm doing better than 90% of his patients who tend to be older, fatter, less fit than me. So there are advantages to having this procedure when you're 56 instead of 70. Hey, my neighbor the fatso cop just had his TKR earlier this hear, he's only 45. He was telling me how great his range of motion was, yada yada, then the other day he says he tried riding his road bike and his knee was bothering him. Not surprising. You use it or lose it, and I'll be riding daily as soon as possible, so I don't anticipate having those issues.

Last edited by patentcad; 09-13-14 at 07:27 AM.