Old 09-13-14, 07:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Knee scope after an ACL rupture 1986 @ age 28. ACL reconstruction after a motorcycle crash 1989. The knee then subsequently tolerated about 200K miles of road cycling, started getting arthritic about 5 years ago. Synvisc injections kept me going until this year, but when they stopped working it was TKR time. Hey, my knee surgeon told me @ age 31 that I had one of the worst knees he had ever seen (after the ACL reconstruction) and largely thanks to cycling, which is mostly therapeutic, it still lasted another 25 years, which is amazing to me. But he said at some point as the arthritis develops, the cycling stops being as helpful and the knee just wears out when there's no cartilage left in there. I'm confident I'll be MUCH better off once this right knee TKR rehabs and heals up. No more knee problems after this. My left knee has never had any problems whatsoever.

My surgeon told me I'm doing better than 90% of his patients who tend to be older, fatter, less fit than me. So there are advantages to having this procedure when you're 56 instead of 70. Hey, my neighbor the fatso cop just had his TKR earlier this hear, he's only 45. He was telling me how great his range of motion was, yada yada, then the other day he says he tried riding his road bike and his knee was bothering him. Not surprising. You use it or lose it, and I'll be riding daily as soon as possible, so I don't anticipate having those issues.
An interesting time line for sure. Pretty good that we all have this technology to draw upon now and just a few short years ago this wasn't available with nearly the capability available now. I ride with two guys who have had hip replacement...one of whom was a competitive sub 3 hour marathon runner. As you know replacing a hip is even more complex. No doubt you should be pain free moving forward.
I believe George W who is an avid mountain biker who rides a lot with war amputees just went through knee replacement.
Heal fast.