View Single Post
Old 09-14-14, 01:26 AM
ItsTimeToBike

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
It is in a state of rehab right now but here are a couple crude pictures (thumbnails) of the triplet to your two with the same 3555 date stamp. It must have been a busy day at the factory on 12/21/1985! Mine is also built up with 1986 components and decals.

I have to ask you mnmkpedals and ItsTimeToBike do either of yours have any nicks up the seat stays or on the fork that expose chrome? Mine does and it also has Shimano FE-SP-22 dropouts which makes me think it may be an SP frame which has those dropouts instead of Tange specified for the standard 1985 and 1986 Voyageurs. What type of dropouts do yours have?

You can't see much of the green 1986 but here it is along with a couple pics of my 1987 as it sits today (thumbnails) and a two from a tour a couple years ago. I thought you may want to see what the tan Longboards look like on a Voyageur. It handles a load like a dream.
Greetings Vouageurs - I'm back after finishing restoration work on my 1986 Voyageur. I've concluded the bike has fairly low miles and it came out very nice. I took an initial 10 mile ride today and took these pics. I felt my weight was a bit much on the hoods. It's a 56cm and I'm used to a 58cm even though I'm only 5-9. The "hide the axel" technique of determining proper fit failed, and it didn't feel right. I raised the stem to maximum safety line and took 2nd spin. Wow what a difference - I felt very well balanced and at home on it!! Smooth as butter and straight as an arrow. Actually one of the quietest riding bikes I own.

Golden Boy - regarding Gran Compe levers and canti's, and over all quality of the parts on the Voyageur are impressive. I especially like the fact that the majority of the frame is chrome plated prior to painting it. Any minor nicks usually stop at the chrome and are safer from corrosion. The raised chrome Shimano FE-SP-22 drop-outs really do a nice job of keeping the axle from nicking up that area as well. I installed Koolstops (dual type for wet/dry) and 27 x 1 1/4 Panaracer Pasela PT's. I received chrome colored SKS Longboards today but unfortunately the rear one was bent so I just sent a msg. to Amazon about it. I'll be remounting the rear rack that came with the bike and also my old Jim Blackburn FL-1 low rider which hopefully will mount without a much problem.
badger_biker you read my mind - I was trying to decide between tan and chrome and well I guess chrome won but I like your tan as well. This Voyageur was an inspiration for me as I didnt have a pure touring ride. My hope is that I'll be able to get out on a small tour yet this year. I believe we have one of the best tourers made in the peak of the touring era.

Ride hard -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC06500 - Copy.jpg (102.9 KB, 1338 views)
DSC06469 - Copy.jpg (98.9 KB, 1310 views)
DSC06447.jpg (73.6 KB, 1293 views)
DSC06493.jpg (103.5 KB, 1299 views)
DSC06494.jpg (98.6 KB, 1300 views)
DSC06502.jpg (101.3 KB, 1301 views)
DSC06449.jpg (89.8 KB, 1292 views)

Last edited by ItsTimeToBike; 09-14-14 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo