Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Nice. Not a proper commuter until you get a little dirt and grime on it.
wait for it.... wait for it.... it's a brand spanking new bike.

And clipless pedals.
it already has them. I have forte campus pedals on the bike, they're combo SPD/platform pedals.

Style points for a better fender line and removing the reflectors.
the wheel reflectors are practical so i'll probably leave them on. the wonky front fender line is due to the CX fork crown being way too high above the tire for the mounting bracket attached to the fender. there does not appear to be an easy fix. if it bothers me too much going forward, i'll have to invent a kludge to fix it

Originally Posted by gregjones
Something similar that does this would lower it. I don't think it would work with a carbon fork
that would be a great fix for a steel fork, but yeah, it won't work with the carbon fork on my bike because there's no hole in the bottom of the crown.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
In my experience, the bike feels heavier with the rack/panniers, but my back much appreciates not having the load on it, so it was a net improvement for me.
i'm expecting the bike to perform differently from what i'm used to, but now that I have a radically shorter commute after my recent move (from 15 miles one-way down to just 5 miles), my focus has shifted from raw performance concerns to more practical ones, hence the rack and panniers.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-15-14 at 06:37 AM.