Old 09-15-14, 04:01 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathandavid
For me, efficiency in the 'logistical' stuff (packing, unpacking, shopping, eating, looking for a place to sleep, etc.) is where I lose or gain significant travel time.
That is another area where individuals are VERY different. I am one of those guys who spend very little time on that stuff. Packing and unpacking are only a few minutes for me, I don't spend much time off the bike or off route looking for places to stay I most often just ride until I see a place I feel like stopping. Usually there is no urgency to finding a place because I am done riding for the day pretty early having hit the road at or before daybreak. I have traveled with people who were my polar opposite on this. I have actually met folks who dallied enough that they would be starting to ride for the day when I was finishing.

One of my old kayaking buddies and I used to clash on this. It was kind of funny. We used to run a river that we were allowed to run without a permit if we started in a particular 30 or 40 minute time window. The funny thing was that after we had our boats off of the car and our paddling clothes on I would be wondering what the heck we would do with all the time until we could start and he would be wondering how he could possibly be ready before the end of the window. I'd find myself waiting around and then putting on the river the second I was allowed to. Then I'd have to hang out at the first rapid and wait 40 minutes (or likely more as he would be late and need to talk them into stretching the time limit) for him.

The funny thing is that even when I watched him I never understood where the time went. He actually seemed busy, but as far as I could tell was accomplishing nothing. On the other hand he couldn't conceive of how he could possibly be ready any faster.

Packing light with the minimum number of items can help a lot, but I suspect that a lot of it is just in the way you are wired.