Old 09-15-14, 09:19 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
this morning was my first ride into work with the new commuter bike.

i liked the freedom of having a completely unencumbered back, but with all that extra weight over the rear wheel, the handling is weird and it will take some getting used to. the bike feels heavier, slower, and more lumbering than my titanium road rocket, but that's a really unfair comparison i suppose. for my short little 5 mile runs to work and back, this bike will be great. and with the addition of the rack and panniers, i'll be able to use the bike to stop and get groceries on my way home from work a couple times a week, which i'm sure my wife will greatly appreciate now that our daughter has finally been born and she's knee deep in feeding and caring for the little one. the more chores and errands i can take off of her plate the better.

Originally Posted by wilfried
Why clipless pedals? If you like them, go for it, I have nothing against them. But I personally find platforms more suitable for stop and go traffic, and you can wear whatever shoes you want, which makes life easier for a commuter. Clipless is strictly optional.
clipless pedals are great. so are platform pedals. that's why i'm a big fan of combo SPD/platforms pedals like the Forte Campus pedals i have on my new bike. some people think combo pedals are the worst of both worlds, but i love the maximum versatility and flexibility they allow. i've been riding combo pedals for 7 years now, and i don't think i'll ever switch to any other kind of pedal.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-15-14 at 09:26 AM.