Old 09-15-14, 09:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2

Every time I ask local riders about steel, they tell me it is too noodly for a rider of my size/strength. And that a stiffer material like carbon or maybe even titanium would be better for me.
I love the look of steel, but at ~200 lbs, I've dropped my chain a number of times. Always while climbing, or sprinting. At first I thought it was just that I'd done a crappy job setting up my FD (I'm far from a pro wrench and it is a campagnolo triple). Or maybe that time my daughter knocked my bike over onto the drive side, the hanger got bent. I've started to suspect, however, that my 63 cm Columbus SLX frame is just flexing under a too heavy load. That'd be a bummer if true because the other problems are fixable, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that, and my frame is so pretty (89/90 Concorde Aquila in PDM colors).