Old 09-15-14, 02:28 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
When you consider the Greenway routes & Park's infrastructure it makes sense...You can almost circumnavigate Manhattan...The East Side still needs work getting around the UN area, but the West Side is a clear shot from Dyckman to The Battery. Brooklyn is littered with bikeway but it isn't roadie territory because of the many lights...I've mentioned in other posts here as well that starting in Van Cortland Park in the Bronx is 50 miles of dedicated (The exception being a small gap where you have to ride the WIDE shoulder of the Taconic Parkway for 3~ miles) paved bike path heading North out of the Bronx through Westchester and ending in Carmel NY.

The street riding can be hairy regardless of the bike lane demarcations. If anything pedestrians are moving hazards as well. People constantly and aimlessly step into the bike lanes...Nevertheless there are relatively safe ways to get across town and too/from the major parks, etc..
Thanks for the clarification. The next time we visit NYC, maybe my wife and I should venture out from the touristy areas and landmarks that she (OK, and I) love so much. I wish I knew the city the way you apparently do because it must be a real experience traversing it by bicycle.