Old 09-15-14, 07:13 PM
thaipantsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dahon v brompton v tern

all three can be fast if you peddle fast enough. q is are you willing to put in the effort or just roll along. both options are perfectly ok.

I own a dahon speed tr 2011 model fully loaded purchased for about $1900 3 year ago. It's strong, heavy (about 15 kgs) indestructible in fact, incredible gearing. The weight is important but a little overrated as a consideration. I'm 72 kgs and about 178 cm. If one is 95 kgs then it's the weight of another two Dahons he's got to carry along. So why quibble about an 11, 12, 13 or even 15 kgs bike? It matters but your overall body weight and strength, health and well being is more important? I think so.

I also own a Dahon Vitesse converted from an electric bike. It's just a basic folding bike, not that flash but goes along well. Cost me $180 second hand and is kept at my office in Thailand.

Point I'm making is Dahon's aren't all Dahon's. Some are pretty crappy and some good. Same probably goes for Tern's though haven't owned one. Verge X10, light and fast then some bulkier heavier models. The Tern does look heavy.

Originally wasn't much of a rap for Brommies. Read many posts. Some swear by the Brommie and some can't see what all the fuss is about. Recently test rode the M6L at our local Velo store in Carlton Melbourne and for $2300+ you can own one. Glorious engineering and a lot of fun. I tried hopping a few gutters, haring off down the bike track and really I felt it was as fast as my Dahon Speed TR and not as bulky. The Fold is exceptionally better on the Brompton. The Brompton's general appearance is much better! Much sexier and much more satisfying aesthetically and that's important to me. I would love to own one! My plan is to purchase the M6L or M6R when next in London.

Good luck with whatever one you choose.