Old 09-15-14, 08:20 PM
Stewie32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Tern Verge x30h. 500km in (and 2 flights without extra charges) I couldn't be happier with it. Test riding was the key to my decision. My Internet research convinced me I wanted a brompton for the elegance of the fold and ease of transport. I tried a 2 speed demo at one dealer but wasn't sure.

I eventually wound up at Dumoulin Cycles in Montreal who had a 6 speed brompton demonstrator ready to go and had the Dahon Vector x27h and the Tern Verge x30h. I spent a good deal of time with the knowledgeable staff and outlined my needs. I have a 2013 Kona Jake as my daily rider which I love and not looking to change. What I was looking for was something I could travel with in an airline legal suitcase on business trips to continue to excercise while on the road. I was able to test ride the brompton immediately ( and they had lots in stock to buy!). The fold was excellent but the ride felt cramped to me and the 6 speeds was limiting. It was a nice bike and if I was looking for a commuter bike to take on a train regularly, is would be it. Dumoulin then tuned up the Dahon and I rode that. Much more what I was after for riding. Fast and good handling. Plenty of range of gears, vee brakes were OK. The fold was nowhere near as elegant or compact as the brompton but good for putting in a car and could be disassembled for flying. Then the Tern was ready to ride and I took that one out. It's vey much like the Dahon but with better brakes, more robust clamps and to be honest a flashier paint job. So I picked the most expensive bike I rode and have not looked back.

I also bought the Tern flight suit and mail ordered a hard shell Samsonite suitcase for traveling. Riding the different bikes really made a difference to me (and was one thing that put me off Bike Friday). All 3 were quality products and one would be right for someone. The Tern was the one that fit me best.