Old 09-16-14, 09:36 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dadbar
I have both a Montague and a Dahon. I love both bikes but the Dahon gets a lot more use. Having to remove the front tire to fold the Montague is a big pain in the neck while commuting. I think the Montague is the perfect bike to keep in the trunk (I don't even take the tire off to fold the Montague and put it in the trunk of my '06 Jetta). I also find the ride geometry of the Dahon to be more comfortable for my particular body type.

Regarding the Brompton- I take my bike on the commuter rail and I often see Dahon and Brompton owners here in Boston at North Station. They all look pretty happy with their bikes, FWIW
Here's one difference between a Montague and a 20" or smaller folder: unfolded, I can fit a smaller bike across the floor of the backseat in a subcompact car. And in most cars, even sedans with the back seats down, a full size bike can be threaded into them, especially if the front wheel is off. Don't get me wrong, I like Montagues and someday I will inevitably have one, preferably the SS/FG Boston version, just that for my life and lifestyle right now, I just don't have a legit need for a bike halfway between a small-wheeled folder (Birdy) and a full size bike (Geekhouse Woodville custom).

I take C&J bus line from Portsmouth NH to Newburyport MA with my Birdy. Saw one guy one time with a Dahon and we chatted, mutually admiring the other's bike. I've also taken it into Boston (South Station bus terminal) a few times. I have no need for a fold as small as a Brompton, so the used Birdy I got suits me well. If I hadn't got the Birdy, I probably would have been just as happy with a Dahon. The Birdy, I bought used from Bruce Metras at a decent price; the Dahons I was looking at would be around the same money (cheaper now that they are distributed by QBP and I work in a shop...), so price on top of purpose kept me from considering a Brompton, even though I am a total sucker for cult bikes.