Old 09-16-14, 09:42 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Really? You are going to compare a custom made "modern" lightweight steel bike that costs $2500 for a frame and fork to a complete bike that cost $1550 for everything? .
It's an open ended comparison since I didn't note any specific budget from the OP just bogusness from the "local riders/LBS" who don't sell quality lightweight steel frames and incorrectly dismiss them as "too noodly for a rider of my size/strength". "Noodly" (I'm guessing at whatever that technical term means) is not a characteristic of a well designed & manufactured steel frameset. Waterford being an example or a $700 Soma Stanyan frameset at a modest price.

Is a $6,000 Pinarello Dogma 2 frameset a better comparison to a custom $2,500 Waterford?

Well designed CF or Alum framesets will be lighter than steel and can be just as "noodly", "punishing", "vertically compliant", "plane-ing" or whatever the marketing speak of the day requires designers, engineers and manufacturers to produce.

I'm not an apologist for steel, although I own several (and Alumium & CF) but sheer utter nonsense needs to be called out as such and myths eliminated from serious discourse.

-Bandera