Old 09-16-14, 11:17 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
A Waterford isn't a bike that you'll find in an LBS that "sell[s] modern lightweight steel road bikes". Nor is it a bike that you are likely to find many people in any given area that have experience with. Riders in his area (or any area) are much more likely to run across some old 80's bike that was noodly and not all that light weight. There's about a million of each one of those to every Waterford you'll run across.

For that matter, you aren't likely to run across a shop that sells Soma or Salsa or Velo Orange bikes. If you are lucky, you might find a shop that carries Jamis or Surly but neither are offering that what I would call a "lightweight" steel bike...certainly not on par with something like a Waterford or Rodriquez. .
No idea why you are so intent on beating this horse but here goes:

1) "A Waterford isn't a bike that you'll find in an LBS that "sell[s] modern lightweight steel road bikes". "
A Waterford dealer is less than 10 miles from my driveway, look for one if interested.
He also sells Gunnar, a nice lightweight steel frameset at a lower price.

B)"Riders in his area (or any area) are much more likely to run across some old 80's bike that was noodly and not all that light weight"
What does that have to w/ the price of tea in China?
The point being addressed is mis-information/myth promulgated by "local rider/LBS" not what old machines are in local garages.

III) "you aren't likely to run across a shop that sells Soma or Salsa or Velo Orange bikes"
My Soma Stanyan was purchased through a LBS 15 minutes from home, it's light enough for my requirements.
In the age of e-commerce purchasing a frameset or bike from an online vendor is preferred by many, especially when one's LBS spouts sheer utter nonsense.

-Bandera: Done w/ this Horse