Old 09-16-14, 11:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
No idea why you are so intent on beating this horse but here goes:

1) "A Waterford isn't a bike that you'll find in an LBS that "sell[s] modern lightweight steel road bikes". "
A Waterford dealer is less than 10 miles from my driveway, look for one if interested.
He also sells Gunnar, a nice lightweight steel frameset at a lower price.
You may have a Waterford dealer near your house as do I but you aren't likely to walk into the store today and wheel one off the floor. I have Moots dealers in my area as well but I'm not going to be able to pick up a frame from them today.

B)"Riders in his area (or any area) are much more likely to run across some old 80's bike that was noodly and not all that light weight"
What does that have to w/ the price of tea in China?
The point being addressed is mis-information/myth promulgated by "local rider/LBS" not what old machines are in local garages.
If all the experience you have with steel is with old flexy frames, it colors your attitude towards steel. Not everyone has ridden a high end steel bike. As for misinformation and myths, there are plenty out there about steel. "It's compliant" and "the ride is smoother" are two of the biggest ones, followed closely by "it can be fixed anywhere".

III) "you aren't likely to run across a shop that sells Soma or Salsa or Velo Orange bikes"
My Soma Stanyan was purchased through a LBS 15 minutes from home, it's light enough for my requirements.
In the age of e-commerce purchasing a frameset or bike from an online vendor is preferred by many, especially when one's LBS spouts sheer utter nonsense.

-Bandera: Done w/ this Horse
The point, like with the Waterford bikes, is that you can't walk into the store today and walk out with one. Soma, Salsa, Velo Orange and even Surly are bikes that you can't generally pull off the peg and go ride. I've never run across a store...and I've been in lots of bike shops...that had rows and rows of any of those steel bikes. You can order them but you aren't going to find them in stock. It's rather difficult to comparison shop for a bike that you can't ride until you buy it. It's difficult enough to walk into somewhere and order a Surly frame for $300 to $400, sight unseen. It's almost impossible to walk into a shop and plunk down $5000 for a complete bike that you won't see until it is done and probably can't send back if you are dissatisfied.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-16-14 at 12:12 PM.