Old 07-13-01, 07:23 AM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buddy,
It is not right for an employee to have to ask to be paid. Whether the owner is just like that or the shop is not doing well enough, I would say it is not the right place to be. Melbourne is a big place. I would start visiting some bike shops. If I were looking for a shop at which to wrench, I would do just as I recommend to people who are looking for a place to do business. Just visit as a customer would. Look around. Does it look like a thriving business? Do the employees look seem happy and cheerful? Does it seem like a place that leans toward serious cyclists but can still make a newbie feel comfortable? My primary LBS is like this. They are patient and very helpful to new riders and moms/dads looking for that Christmas bike for Johnny. But they are also serious cyclists active in the local racing community. Those serious cyclists keep things hopping. They are the ones that don't think twice about dropping big bucks for the lastest carbon fiber super whizzy and may be keeping a couple of racing bikes, a time trial bike and more, coming in and out for repairs/upgrades. But you also have to have a steady stream of moms, pops, and newbies to cultivate those future serious cyclists. They have a large staff and everyone seems happy and satisfied. I would love to work there myself!

Twice in my career I have found myself in positions where I felt like I was being similarly abused. Mainly working absurdly long hours (10 minimum, 12 normal, 15 too often, 18-24 on occasion). It would have been one thing if I knew I was paying dues for an eventual promotion, but I was as far as I could go at that business. I did not complain. I figure that, within the law, it is an employer's prerogative to run the business as he/she pleases, but it is my prerogative to move on to greener, or at least more pleasant, pastures.
FWIW,
Raymond