Old 09-16-14, 03:21 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The only mechanic I trust is me. Recently I picked up a Moots Psychlo, which had a Campagnolo CX carbon crank on the bike. I wanted to remove the crankset 175mm and install a square tapered record 170mm crankset in place and sell the cx, too long (175mm vs 170mm) for me. That's when my troubles stated, first the removable bolt cap was a 14mm hex, to start. No one in the area had such a tool to buy ( Ace Hw, Home Depot, and Loews to name a few) and a few lbs had the socket (14mm hex), but not Park tool to remove the crankset. I called more then three shops, and was told yes we can... Went to a Moots dealer first, wow the mechanic butcher was banging away, while talking to the owner, I quickly grab the Moots away from the pseudo mechanic and left the store. The second showed me the Park tool, I was elated, came back with the Moots, left it as suggested to come back in an hour. As instructed I came back, saw the Moots on the bike stand, ask the ?mechanic what progress, he said he broke two wrenches and still could not get the crank off, came over gave me the retainer pin and cap bolt, but no washer (which has to be removed before removing the crank arm (right side)), oh he said. Of course I grab the Moots and left. The other shop said they had the proper tools, same as the others, and they broke their Park tool, also upon that incident I took the Moots home and sold it with the Campagnolo CX crank attached. The Moots was sightly large for me to ride, was able to straddle until I slipped on the street with my cleats, and almost had pain. Beautiful bike, what a nightmare. So to conclude, the best shop and mechanic is yourself who you can trust.