View Single Post
Old 09-16-14, 05:23 PM
dnett_tex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
BD bikes are straight off the assembly line,they're just sent to you instead of an LBS. While it's good to learn to do your own wrenching,not everything can be done by a novice. Setting up derailleurs and brakes isn't a big deal,but machine built wheels need to be finished(properly tensioned) by a human,and to do that right takes experience and proper tools. If you're not an experienced mechanic,then you should at least have a shop go over the bike after you put it together to make sure the wheels and brakes are right.

I told a poster over in Commuting that he should get his BD bike's wheels checked by a shop. He responded by saying they were fine because they looked straight when he spun them. I'm expecting to see him post in the Mechanics forum wondering why he's breaking spokes.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. BD's web site leads you to believe that THEY do some of the assembly prior to shipping.

I'm not a novice with a wrench, but I am with bikes. Will the Park blue book show me how to tension the spokes?