queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by derek.fulmer
What bars would you recommend? I understand the purpose of the deep drop, as mentioned by carleton, but is there any reason not to use them?
Track drops were made when bike frames were made so that proper fit involved "a fistful of seatpost." If you wanted to get into a low sprint position, you needed either very deep drops, or a deep-drop stem, or both. Now, bike frames are made to generally fit a rider with a lot more seatpost - most headtubes are pretty short, especially for track bikes, so that a rider can set up both a mass-start or sprint position, AND a position with aerobars (usually involves mounting a stem quite a bit lower). So, when you see high-level riders using sprint bars, they often have a positive rise stem. Because they like the bars, but their bike doesn't require them to use those bars in order to get a low position. [there are tons of examples but here's one of nothstein and a guy whose name i'm blanking on, and it's a funny picture to use for example because of their faces. but look at their stems.]

Anyway, track sprinters use track drops for forearm clearance - mostly for standing starts. And now, the trend is going over to super shallow bars like the Scatto, which offer a ton of clearance and you can use it with a more ordinary stem.

If you rarely or never do standing starts you're better off with a standard road bar.

I use a Ritchey Classic, and I wish it came in a 38. Very occasionally I get "sprint bruises" on my forearms. Another good bar is the Pro Vibe 7S Round, which also has a criterium bend.