Thread: Tire sealant
View Single Post
Old 09-18-14, 12:19 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I'm thinking the best sealant hasn't been invented yet but Orange Seal seems to be on the best track so far because (if I understand correctly) it's a water-based antifreeze combined with latex and lightweight (as opposed to silica) fiber. The latex sealants like Stan's really work well when you first put them in and work better for high pressure tires but they dry out quickly. I've heard that the Orange Seal doesn't dry out so quickly because of the orange antifreeze. My experiments suggest you can put about half the recommended amount of Stan's inside an inner tube and effectively prevent 95% of flats until it dries out. Theoretically you can use lightweight tubes and tires to compensate for the extra weight of the sealant and still have excellent flat protection and this system is less of a hassle than going tubeless. Orange Seal is difficult to find except online but I've made my own similar material by combining Slime with Stan's. I'm tempted to mix my own brew using acrylic-latex caulk from the hardware store, glitter (to clot holes), and RV antifreeze.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-19-14 at 12:21 AM.