View Single Post
Old 09-18-14, 12:51 PM
csi56

Bikes: Trek 7100 hybrid 2008, Downtube 9FS 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once more with feeling at Jones Beach. This time I parked at the East Bathhouse, went under the parkway and East towards Tobay, then back. A couple of things struck me: first, wouldn't it be nice/fun/interesting to utilize one or more of those tunnels under the parkway, the ones near the JFK sanctuary? I'm imagining the bike path running on the south side of the parkway, either between the tunnels or much farther East. Issues I can think of: the tunnels might need major rehab; a path on the south side might need much more maintenance and might tend to become covered with sand; such a path would be the first thing destroyed in a major storm; they wouldn't dare build it over or between the dunes, which are protected nesting areas in some locations. Ah, well, just a foolish dream.

Starting at the Bathhouse gives lots of options. If I'm feeling well then I can come back from Tobay and go north to Cedar Creek, or if I'm pooped then just bail back at the Bathhouse. And starting in October (November?) I can ride the boardwalk, and maybe the back roads around the Nikon center as well.

Now if I could just break this chocolate addiction...