View Single Post
Old 09-18-14, 01:03 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I have video of 2 instances (and 2 more instances that I don't have video) of oncoming drivers pulling into my lane to pass people, in each case forcing me into the gravel on the side of the road and missing me by less than 2 feet (going 60+ MPH in the opposite direction).

All of these happened the same summer, over the course of about 8 weeks.

After the first instance, I started riding with my headlight (cheap clone, about 450 lumens) on. Three of the instances happened with the headlight on.

Then i got fed up and started running a flashing light, much dimmer because I thought 450 lumens was too much to flash.

My current light is an Ignita which is probably only about 40 lumens, flashing.

It's been over a year since then and starting the day that I started running flashing front, I haven't had a single car do that. I HAVE had cars start to pull around to pass, but then they saw me and pulled back in line again.

It's still anecdotal, but it's good enough for me.

As I said, I'm not going to run 450 lumens flashing, but I will run a front flasher.
Yeah, as both a driver and a biker, I think reasonable light output lights that blink are excellent for visibility. I know I definitely see bikes better that have them, especially during the day or when there's no light at night.

I've seen some interesting lights lately that have both high and low light output modes, and have a sensor to automatically adjust based on ambient lighting.