Old 09-18-14, 03:39 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
This whole exercise started off because I assumed (never assume right?) that a 3x9S Campy Daytona shifter set with a Shimano 600 RD and a 7S Shimano hub must have been a mistake. and that to correct it I should move to an all Shimano setup. and that would mean minimum 8S Shimano shifter.

I also thought (and on reflection I am realizing I think that this is stupid and also wrong) that the LH 3x Daytona shifter with its muliple clicks up AND down was less appropriate for a 3speed internal rear hub (which really only needs 3 distinct clicks to move up and down.) And in my experience Shimano 3S LH brifter had a cleaner CLick-CLick-Click when going Low to High on a traditional FD and so Shimano would work better with an internal 3S hub than Campy.

Was that 2nd assumption wrong?
If so, to heck with it, I'll just put the Daytona back on.

The only other reason I started messing with this is that there is a bit of play in the 7S cassette as installed. (Maybe it needs another spacer for the lock ring to clamp it down snugly)

But as I said, I started off confused anyway.
Wait, are you saying you're shifting the IGH with a brifter?

That's not a good idea, even if it's a left-hand ergo shifter. IGHs are designed to be used with the specific shifters made for them, and not all of them have the same length of cable pull between each gear, so no indexed shifter will work with them. If you go between two gears with a derailleur, either because something isn't adjusted or you're using the wrong shifter/derailleur combination, you get noisy running and maybe the chain trying to jump between gears. If you do it with an IGH, you can round the corners off internal parts, or even break them.

The great Sheldon Brown used to friction-shift an old (as in I believe 1950's, when they were in their heyday) Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub, but he was able to judge where he was with the internal mechanism of the hub by the angle of the shift lever, and was also using a hub which is a) easily serviced with good parts availability and b) built to outlast about any bike component short of maybe a Schwinn Varsity.

Last edited by Airburst; 09-18-14 at 03:49 PM.