Old 09-18-14, 05:38 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ekibayno
As you say, the Southern Alps are the spine of the South Island. The roads mostly run parallel to it and are fairly flat. There are three main passes crossing the Alps but they not on the scale of the Rockies and are neither long nor high.

If you want to go off the sealed roads, then there are a plethora of back roads and MTB trails you can ride - even some of the tramping tracks (Heaphy, Queen Charlotte) can be ridden at certain times of the year.

Last tour I incorporated several stages from the Great Southern Brevet. I'm tempted to return and do the full course some time.

Probably the northern end of the South Island where I'm heading next visit is more lumpy, although there were a few lumpy sections through the Catlins in the Southland.
Want to try that Great Southern Brevet when I finish my Grad program in 2016. This year I'll be going North though. Hit 90 mile beach, down into the coromandel, go for Hamilton and Rotorua (lake roads are pretty) then head for my parents place for xmas, pick up the car and head for the university. Got to get the long rides in before my family comes across from Korea - kids always restrict how far I can ride.