Old 09-18-14, 09:46 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
I tried 32's gators when I attempted the 200k. Didn't feel as much difference as I thought I would. Put the 38 Marathons 420 front, Plus on rear after a couple slide outs in rain once and crud washed onto road by storms. Next spring I might try vaunted Paselas for the next 200k attempt.

I'm not up for a mileage challenge of such a degree. However, seeing you guys makes me kick it up a notch. Took upcoming Friday off originally to do a "easy" solo century, but invited Mary, then she got sick!

So Century is put off until Sunday, we'll meet at the American Tobacco Trail Friday and do a couple laps.. Rise donuts and coffee for breakfast and pizza and beer for lunch!
So might get around 150 in 3 days!
Thanks for the tip on the Gatorskins. I found a spare tube in my toolbox so I never made it to the LBS but I know for a fact that it was my last tube so I'm planning a trip this weekend for sure. I'm thinking about going from 35s to 28s so I'm convinced I'd see at least a little bit of difference, I'm not exactly keen on giving up the tread though as my road is 1mile of gravel so I'm unsure how slicks would react in that case.

I was hoping to do my first century even if it took me 8 or 12 hours to complete this Saturday but looking at the forecast it looks like mother nature has different plans. Sunday looks just as bad so another weekend shot from what I can tell right now.

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I am probably going to have to follow your advice of 20 a day and then a longer ride to fill in the miles per day missed. It's probably what is achievable and still allows me to be consistent.

As far as Strava I don't know if it allows you to just type in a workout with no GPS but I'd look into it.

I like the gatorskins I've had in the past.
Thanks for your opinion on the gatorskins, I see they're highly preferred for the most part on this forum. Personally I'd take durability over a 1 or 2 mph speed difference. As long as I'm not sitting on the side of the road every 50-100 miles changing a flat, I'd be satisfied.

I checked with Strava, they do have an option to add rides manually but for the challenges, or at least this one, the rules specifically indicate no manual entries. Oh well, I get enough motivation on this forum to ride and don't need to create another account. Besides I was going to consider it as a personal goal just as reason to get out to ride since as the weather gets cooler, I know I'm going to start getting lazy and make excuses not to ride.