Old 09-19-14, 08:56 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dru_
Riding like a scofflaw, and posting to a bike forum about doing so is worthless, pointless, and childish. Working with your local bicycle coalition (or starting one if you don't have one), working with your local media and organizing safe demonstrations of why change is needed would actually have a point. Everything else is just another rider being a selfish and disrespectful person presenting a bad image to drivers that will only recall the negatives when they see other riders.
I am a local advocate and I spend a significant amount of time meeting with local government and planning local actions/demonstrations. I typically advocate for traffic calming and enhanced/protected bike facilities. Nevertheless, I am also a vehement advocate for an idaho stop law, repeal of FRAP, repeal of the mandatory side path law, and strict liability. When I ride like a scofflaw I am often making a political statement. The amusing thing is that many fraidy-cat safety nannies view much of my legal cycling behavior as illegal scofflaw behavior because they suffer from car head and/or project their own insecurities on my bike behavior.