Old 09-19-14, 12:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Coal Buster
A woman is dead. Why don't you tone it down a bit.
Because when we tone it down, we die.

For most people in the USA, the most dangerous thing we do is to leave the curb and enter the stream of wheeled traffic. No matter if we are in a tractor-trailer, car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, skates, or on foot. In the spectrum of danger for the average person, leaving the curb is on the "extremely dangerous" end of the spectrum. (Unless you are a deep sea diver or looking for roadside bombs in the desert, leaving the curb is THE most dangerous thing we do).

Now it only makes sense that while engaged in THE most dangerous thing we ever do, that perhaps we should be on high alert and extremely watchful, vigilent, and cautious to tilt the odds in our favor. But what do many of us ACTUALLY do? We text, daydream, look at the fluffy clouds, and take our safety for granted.

When I leave the curb, be it on my bike, in a car, or on foot I believe that EVERYTHING that happens between those two curbs is at least partly my fault. No one forced me to play in the street. It is MY responsibility to protect myself by paying strict attention to everything going on around me including all of the "what-iffs". At the VERY LEAST...I should look both ways before stepping foot off that curb. And KEEP looking. And keep looking.

^^THIS is what I would teach my children. If that woman was my child, she would still be enjoying her daughter's birthdays for years to come.

You tone it down and you die in this world. Does not really matter who is legally at fault when you are burying your mom. This is the message the worthless news media should be broadcasting.