WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I'm 5'10, 32" and ride a 54 CAAD because when I test rode a 56 my thighs rubbed against the top tube. The top of my saddle is 7" above the seat-post bolt, and I'm not sure I'd want it any closer than that.
Tried to ride a 54cm. It felt like I was riding a clown bike, just too cramped and the saddle to bar drop was way too much, I am not as flexible as I once was. But at 6' with the same inseam as I have, your torso would be 2" (5.08cm) longer than mine. The reach of the CAAD10 in 54cm is 38.3cm and a 56cm is 39.4cm is and then add about .5cm that your sitting further back on a 56cm, wouldn't that be a more comfortable fit. I know there is also a 1.4cm difference in stack, but that is nothing removing a spacer or two wouldn't fix.

Sorry Leinster, this really wasn't directed at your response, more of a general question for those 6 footers. I do understand why you would ride a 54cm, I am usually between 55cm and 56cm depending on geometry, but in the CAAD10/SuperSix EVO, the 54cm is just a tad bit too small.

Back to sheepdog84's question. The use of a setback seatpost should really be about where your body is comfortable on the bike, not about making it fit your torso. That's why I questioned the 56cm sizing. If your butt is rock solid on your saddle without riding on the "rivet" or off the back of the saddle, your current saddle fore/aft position is probably right where it should be, so where, or better, why would you set it back, now if your saddle is all the way back on the end of the rails and you still find yourself pulling your butt forward to get comfortable, then maybe a setback seatpost is the right call. Let's see, there are only three contact points on a bike, feet, ass, hands and of those three, while all important, the hands should rank 3rd. Unless you're a kid and still growing, growing around does not count, your saddle to pedal relationship does not change much in adulthood. Once that's right, why mess with it?

Just asking.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 09-19-14 at 01:38 PM.