Old 09-20-14, 06:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have run across quite a few bicycles fitted with those handle bar bags.

I would never use one, particularly if the handlebars on the bicycle are expensive, high end or rare. The metal support wears two grooves into the handlebar with use. It does take time for this to happen but, eventually, the bars will become cosmetically challenged and/or snap off near the steering stem(only if left unchecked and allowed to continue to wear).

Other forum members have argued against this but I stand by what I say. How would you like to wreck the etched Cinelli double old logo markings on your bars, rendering them all but useless. I might still have that set tucked away, if I didn't already throw them away.
Good point I wouldn't want to run this style of framed large bag on vintage aluminium bars, very good chance of guaging or even bending the the bars with a load. You should probably go with nicer steel, modern hardened alloy bars, myself I would go with a larger set of chro-mo bars if I was go to run a larger framed handlebar bag.