Old 09-21-14, 12:39 PM
adempsey10

Bikes: Ghost Lector 7000, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheelset: Aero vs Weight

I have found other threads that speak generally of aero vs weight advantages but I'm looking for something more specific.

I have a budget for a new set of wheels and have found three different wheel sets from a local company (I'm set on this company for a number of reasons, mostly supporting local business, lack of shipping costs, and a hassle-free crash replacement warranty). I race in crits, road races and hilly centurions/fondos so I need an all round wheel, since I can only afford one.

Set 1: 1220g, 38mm @ $950

Set 2: 1390g 50mm @ $1000

Set 3: 1440g 60mm @ 1050

All three sets have the same hubs, spokes (type and lacing) and are tubular.

My current set is 1900g, 30mm. I'm going to notice an increase in performance regardless which I get but I'm really curious to know whether there will be a huge difference aerodynamically between the 50mm and 60mm and whether I'll even notice an additional 50g in weight between them. To me, the best all round option would be the 50mm set, not too heavy and still decently aerodynamic.

Another question: In an ideal world, I would buy the 38mm, since they're the lightest, and use them for climbing and buy the 60mm for crits and flats, since they're the most aerodynamic. I do plan on buying a second set down the road and ideally I would like to have both a light weight set for climbing and an aero set for criteriums. If I had to wait a season before buying the second set, which would be better to get now (i.e. would I be more frustrated riding less aero wheels in a criterium, or heavier wheels on a climb)? In reality, even the heaviest set I'm considering are still almost 500g less weight than what I currently race on, so I'll notice a difference on climbs with the 60mm wheels and I'll notice a huge difference in crits with a drastically more aerodynamic profile. I may have just answered my own question then.. but weigh in if you have other more superior knowledge.