View Single Post
Old 09-22-14, 10:33 AM
Iggz79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Garfield Cat;17151691][QUOTE=Iggz79;17151472]Agree, but i was more referring to carbon vs. Other carbon frames.
I am linking more harsh road feel to higher stiffness results in tests in a way trying to explain why the tarmac sl4 from 2013 felt more direct. I'm sure experts will say that stiffness and harsh road feel aren't clearly linked nowadays. Would be interesting to hear some opinion or get a tip to an article on this in further discussion.

How about this:

Figure 31. ComfortPly technology adds only the plies needed for performance, none of the plies that can lead to a harsh ride. ComfortPly™ technology uses the same composite analysis software tools not only to optimize strength, stiffness and weight, but also to fine-tune frame properties in two ways: First, we know where to put the stiff fibres and where to put the strong fibers. Second, during layup development, once strength and stiffness targets are achieved, ComfortPly™ technology actually removes unneeded fibres to reduce weight and vibration and improve ride quality.
I guess technology is far beyong what we can subjevtively feel as mid range bike riders. If you telling me that im having same power transfer or better with my emonda while feeling wabbly comfortable riding it then i got the perfect bike for the money.

Lets step away from what marketing machinery made us believe carbon does to ride comfort. Let me take an very exagerrated example from the world of supercars. Pagani Zonda R - 99 percent made of carbon fiber and claimed to be one of the most direct , stiff supercars money can buy. Pagani says that they use carbon fiber to make the car lighter while having a the stiffest , most direct contact with road surface ever. Now, they d never claim that its a comfortable ride too. Why? Cause in sports car world (which by the way has a much higher R&D budget than cycling world) stiffness and comfort is directly counterproductive.

Unless cycling manufacturers have a higher quality or different quality carbon access than car manufacturers, which i highly doubt, I would say that top guys marketing machinery is trying to sell us something that doesnt truly exist. Brand it comfort ply or soften your ass im not buying it..

open for discussion and if you technically test emonda to be stiffer than tarmac while being more comfy i take everything back and go cry in my shame corner !